Friday, August 6, 2010

APIAs Represent at National Poetry Slam

If you live in the Twin Cities, it's a great time to be an Asian American spoken word poet. St. Paul is hosting the National Poetry Slam (NPS) from August 3 - 7, 2010 (that's right, it's already started); in 2011 the Twin Cities will host the National Asian Pacific Islander American (APIA) Spoken Word and Poetry Summit; and, as part of the National Poetry Slam, the APIA Summit will sponsor an open mic this Saturday, August 7 from 1:00 - 2:30 at the Lowry Lab Theater in our fair capital city. According to Bao Phi, one of the open mic's organizers, API poets from Minnesota, California, and Hawai'I have already thrown their names in the hat to read their work. It promises to be a fantastic afternoon of great poetry.

Chances are good that you already know what spoken word is. Maybe you've watched HBO's "Def Poetry Jam" or have seen any number of spoken word open mics in your own neighborhood. Well, Asian Americans have been an integral part of this movement since the art form's inception. Phi gives a succinct and deeply personal summary of a decade of Asian American spoken word in his blog at the Star Tribune.

While I am a poet, I've always felt more comfortable working within the realm of page poetry than spoken word. But, as an audience member, I welcome the power of a good poem spoken on stage to an eager, supportive crowd. Listening to an articulate thought expressed with well-constructed, surprising, and engaging language in a group setting is akin to the Sunday masses I eschewed long ago. It's like church without the guilt. It's like church that makes you wanna get up and do something. And for Asian Americans, a spoken word event builds much-needed community.

Shortly after I first moved to the Twin Cities, I attended an evening of performances protesting the first incarnation of Miss Saigon, which was coming through town at that time. I remember sitting at Intermedia Arts, while a young Asian American woman stood onstage and performed a piece about her frustration with the stereotypes she faced. It was the first time I'd ever seen an Asian American female, like myself, stand in public and express anger about anything. But, it was more than just anger. By taking the stage, she had taken back her own identity as a complex, politically-aware individual. That event effectively changed my life. It set me on the path to becoming an artist myself and guided me to learning about Asian American history and politics. The lessons I've learned from that journey continue to inform my work, even as it has evolved.

Events like the API Spoken Word and Poetry Summit and the open mic this Saturday offer something for everyone, beyond poets or poetry fans. They offer a chance to be in community with other Asian Americans, to listen, laugh, shout out, and yes, maybe even cry. They give our community much-needed space to be and celebrate who we are. In this space, ideas are exchanged, tested, affirmed or challenged, and the seeds for future movements are planted. I hope I will see you there.



by Katie Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment